Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Go Play Golf

Amplify’d from bgallen.com

When I was a young second lieutenant (2LT) in the Army I worked with a great First Sergeant (1SG) who was close to retirement and a wise man.  He believed in helping young officers grow and excel. He was always pushing you to be thinking like you were operating at the next level of command.

He once told me that if I did my job right (as a company commander) I could go play golf and nobody would notice I was gone.  His point was that you ensure you have the right people, that they are in the right place, that they are trained, resourced, empowered and have a clear understanding of the mission and their parameters. Once you do that your team will advance.

So – are you doing that for your team?  Are you growing leaders and giving them the freedom to lead?

BG

Read more at bgallen.com
 

No comments: